Re: Man Hates Less

Stephen Powell wrote:
On Tue, 07 May 2013 18:46:05 -0400 (EDT), Draco Metallium wrote:
Last night I did a dist-upgrade of my wheezy debian, today I woke up
without "less".  I tried to install it via "apt-get install less" but it
removes both man-db and debhelper.

Does anyone know why is that? I am alone here?

Should I panic?

Thank  a lot!

Was it your intention to upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie?  If not, then
I'm guessing that you are using "testing" rather than "wheezy" in
/etc/apt/sources.list.  This is a perfect example of why you should
always use a release code name, not a status, in /etc/apt/sources.list.
Wheezy is no longer the testing release.  It is now the stable release.
Jessie is the new testing release.  I intentionally did an upgrade from
Wheezy to Jessie, but when I saw that "aptitude full-upgrade" intended
to delete less, I aborted it and did an "aptitude safe-upgrade" instead.
You obviously gave it permission to delete less.  You should pay closer
attention to what you give it permission to do.  Given that you did,
your options are limited.  Wait for less to be upgraded to a new release
that is compatible with man-db, if possible.

or 'dpkg -i less_456-1_amd64.deb' from sid.

Hugo