Re: Partially encrypted backup?

On Mon, 6 May 2013 16:15:56 +0000 (UTC)
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> I'm currently using rdiff-backup onto removable USB drives for backup.  I
> don not encrypt them now because I'm terrified of losing the encryption
> key and hence losing access to my backups.
>
> I'm planning to trade backup drives with an acquaintance for off-site
> backups.  I trust her, but I don't trust not every random person who
> lives in her house or visits.
>
> Is there any way of doing the backup partially encrypted so that files
> are encrypted only if not world-readable?

Perhaps use the 'find' command with the '-perm' argument to generate
lists of files that are and are not world readable, and pipe the
outputs to the backup program with the appropriate invocations? I'm not
a find guru, so I won't try to give the syntax, and I can't judge the
level of performance hit that doing it this way will engender.

Celejar