X windows not refreshing using opengl

Whenever I'm running a windowed opengl application, say mplayer -vo gl, the window will not refresh. Switching (e.g. ALT-TAB) to a different window will force a single update. Running full-screen may or may not cause the window to be refreshed properly (e.g. mplayer works fine, a wine application does not).

I am running Debian Wheezy on amd64. Because of dropped support for RV770 I have pinned xserver-xorg to 1:7.6+8 from the snapshot archive, with xserver* and xorg* pinned to snapshot.debian.org (using 20110911T211512Z). My Wheezy is otherwise fully updated. The problem has persisted for a number of months now.

Any pointers?