Re: Without SKYPE?

On Fri 03 May 2013 at 13:27:14 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > However, SIP-ID@sipgate.co.uk works for phones registered with the
> > network (just like Skype). There is no connection established when the
> > call is from another network (again, just like Skype).
>
> This restriction was put in place by Sipgate to stop VoIP SPAM.

The reason is immaterial. It effectively cuts that network (and other
ones who operate the same policy for their own, and possibly commercial
reasons) from other SIP networks. So much for interworking. So much for
communication,

> There's no reason why you couldn't register your phone number and direct
> IP address with an organisation such as E164 (e164.org) for others to
> use. However, unlike Skype, the protocol neither requires you to do this
> nor use a broker/proxy such as Sipgate.
>
> I used to have my VoIP phone accessible by IP address. No-one I know
> calls me directly like that, and thanks to frequent probing by Sip
> Vicious I've abandoned that solution and just remained registered
> with Sipgate.
>
> Sipgate interoperates with a number of other commercial SIP providers. But
> since it doesn't use any of the enum services you have to route the
> call manually. I believe this non-transparent interoperability is a
> fairly standard situation.

As long as it is standard, it must be ok. Industry standard and all
that, I expect. Skype have the standard policy of only processing calls
which come through their software. So that is ok too.

> > It is some time since I last looked into this but I think the Betamax
> > VoIP products also do the same; communication using SIP between users on
> > the same network but none from outside. Actually, they may not even
> > allow their own registered phones to contact other SIP phones on a
> > different network.
>
> SIP phones don't (need to) register with Betamax providers - essentially
> these particular services are outbound only.

Have I misread the instructions at

   http://www.voipbuster.com/en/sip ?

  > You need a VoipBuster username and password in order to call via our
  > network.

Skype came up with a brilliant idea: use the bandwidth of customers for
phone calls and throw in a few servers for registration, call and
bandwidth management etc. It works wonderfully well and tens of millions
avail themselves of it every day. For some reason which I haven't really
grasped they are often castgated for this.

In case you are wondering

  sip:username@ip_address

should connect you with users on this network.