W: Kernel Task Compendium

Hi list

I'm looking for a brief compendium on kernel tasks - mostly out of curiosity, but also to have a brief idea what the list of running services ps -A is spitting out are there for (and disabling those I most certainly will never use)

Figuring out what the userspace tasks are doing is easily done by a quick google, as for the kernel tasks: not so much.

Is the Kernel/Documentation folder any good, or where is the right place to look for?

And is it possible to stop kernel tasks I will never use? In Ubuntu [ecryptfs-thread] would be a possible candidate. Can I blacklist loaded modules and services I don't use?

Thanks,

Lou