Re: can someone replicate this cut and paste bug?

Siard wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>>   in the future i'll have to proof read every copy and paste
>> operation for funny translations.  i don't know about you and how
>> much you reference technical documents and copy and paste, but the
>> sort of mistranslation is one that would make me shudder.
>>
>>   is there a safer copy and paste function that does preserve fonts?
>
> My job is doing desktop publishing, ATM we work with Adobe InDesign at
> the workplace.  Copying from many documents such as .odt and .doc
> preserves formatting, but it is a known fact that copying from pdf's
> does not.

  i won't be looking to do that much any
longer.

> If you have a look at this document's fonts in Adobe Reader (Ctrl-D >
> tab Fonts), then you see that very special fonts are used, such as
> AdvOT1415ea69.B and AdvOT144a03c1, which are not available for your own
> documents anyway.
>
> But pdf's are simply not the right medium to copy text from. You could
> import a pdf in Scribus and do some cropping, but that's all.
> This pdf is produced with a program named Arbortext Advanced Print
> Publisher, which is unknown to me.  It is saved as .ps and translated
> into a pdf using Distiller.  It may be the same as MS Publisher, where
> saving to .ps is the only way for a .pub document to be usable in the
> outside world.  You could ask the producer to save the document
> as .rtf, but in fact, what really should be done in such a case, is to
> inform your client that this task is simply not feasable, or at least
> laborious and time-consuming.

  thanks for the info.  i'm pretty sure i won't be
advising anyone about this sort of thing, so the
simple answer is to not do it.  in the cases where
i do need to copy and paste from a pdf it seems
like i'll just have to remind myself to proof
read very carefully.

  songbird