Possible to add an LVM to existing Wheezy box

Is it possible to create an LVM on a machine that's already running Wheezy but without an LVM?

I've looked at
  https://wiki.debian.org/LVM
and the howto which the wiki refers to,
  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/initdisks.html
but these seem, to me, to be meant for an initial install or, at minimum, for empty disks or partitions. Whereas I wanted to create an LVM from combining an existing 1.7TB partition (preserving its data) with a new, empty, 2TB disk, so as to have a 3.7TB logical volume that already contains the 1.7TB's worth of data.

If it is possible, the step I don't understand is how to create an LVM physical volume of the existing 1.7TB partition, without destroying the data already on that partition. The howto suggests that pvcreate should be used but won't that damage the data and filesystem on that partition?

Apologies if my question isn't clear.  Basically,
(i) can I make an LVM based on an existing partition while preserving its data and, if so,
(ii) how do I avoid damaging the data on that partition?

regards, Ron