Re: Undocumented telnet access to Brother HL-2280DW

On 29/12/2013 20:00, Reco wrote:

So, no luck. Maybe it requires some engineering password first.

I used to have a Brother inkjet MFP, and had also considered a laser-based MFP. Both the devices I looked at stated, in their manuals, that Telnet could be used, seemingly in the context of 'changing' the device's already assigned IP address. (This info was in the 'advanced users' troubleshooting section, perhaps because making a mistake when changing an IP address of something being accessed could lead to problems ... )

The manual set out these steps for using Telnet:

Type TELNET ipaddress at the command prompt. When you are connected, press Enter to receive the '#' prompt, and enter the password 'access' (ie, just the letters, not the ' symbols), the password will not appear on the screen.

You will be prompted for a user name, enter anything in response.

You will then get the prompt:
Local>

Type SET IP ADDRESS ipaddress (ipaddress is the 'new' IP address you want the printer to have), for example:

SET IP ADDRESS 192.168.1.3

and you can (would need to, actually) set the subnet mask as well with

SET IP SUBNET subnetmask, for example:

SET IP SUBNET 255.255.255.0

You can set up a gateway address with

SET IP ROUTER routeraddress, eg:

SET IP ROUTER 192.168.1.4

You can force this static IP setting method to be remembered with

SET IP METHOD STATIC

To verify that your settings are correct, you can type

SHOW IP

(though this surprises me - at some point, the IP address will have changed, but the manual does not say when that change occurs. Hopefully, it only occurs on switch off/on, so that Telnet connectivity is retained during this process, but I'm not sure.)

Finally, you can exit the Telnet session with

EXIT

It seems that there is a Telnet server on Brother machines, and its primary use seems to be setting IP addresses, especially after an IP might have been set by an ARP method (for security, Brother only allow 'ARP-set method' to take place once, so any IP change away from an IP set by ARP has to be by another method).

regards, Ron