Re: how to re-install Windows?

On 29/12/13 10:50, Long Wind wrote:
> I have wheezy and XP, with grub as boot manager
> now C: has bad sector and can't boot
> it seems I have to re-install XP
> grub will be gone after XP installation
>
> How can I re-install grub?

Use the Debian installation CD/DVD. Either choose Advanced... -> Rescue
*or* choose Help then type "rescue" at the cli before hitting Enter.

At the partitioning section select the same partitions you previously
installed to but *don't* change any settings for them (mount location,
file system, or format).

Next choose Install GRUB from the install menu. os-prober will detect
the Windoof install and add it to GRUB.

> BTW which command can create FAT32 partition and check bad sectors so
> that XP installation won't use them?
>
> Thanks!!!

fdisk, cfdisk or parted can create the partition
badblocks can check the disk for bad sectors
fsck.vfat can check the filesystem for bad clusters
mkfs.vfat can create the filesystem
see man command for more detail.

NOTES:-
;Windoof insists on being the first partition, Debian doesn't care.
;I'd run the following before doing *anything*:-
# smartctl -s on -S on /dev/$yourDrive

if you get errors run:-
# smartctl -d TYPE -i /dev/sda
(TYPE is ata, scsi, or sat)

if you had to use -d TYPE for the previous command use it in the
following also:-
# smartctl -H /dev/$yourDrive

if you don't get the following do an immediate backup before filing the
drive in the big round cabinet:-
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

Kind regards