Re: NVIDIA Problem?

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 00:26:12 -0500, erosenberg wrote:

> If you don't have an NVIDIA graphics card, then remove the nvidia
>  packages:
>  * glx-alternative-nvidia * nvidia-driver * libgl1-nvidia-glx and
>  instead, install libgl1-mesa-glx. This should allow your INTEL
> card
>  to do the 3D acceleration.
>
> Darac -
>
> Thanks.
>
> I checked, no Nvidia device.
>
> Did as above. Computer is now in infinite loop. Ask for a reboot,
> reboots and returns to the terminal login prompt.
>
> TIA
>
> Ethan

> 		If you don't have an NVIDIA graphics card, then remove
the nvidia<br
> 		/><blockquote>
> packages:<br />
>   * glx-alternative-nvidia<br />
>   * nvidia-driver<br />
>   * libgl1-nvidia-glx<br />
> and instead, install libgl1-mesa-glx. This should allow your INTEL
> card<br />
> above. Computer is now in infinite loop. Ask for a reboot, reboots and

All my problem are mostly gone since i've uninstalled EVERY Debian Nvidia
package. Have a look at the below.

If you want to know what card to use do something like

uname -m
to know what architecture it is ( x86_64 = 64bit, x86 = 32bit)

lspci |grep -i vga
to know the model for sure

Get the latest driver from http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?
lang=en-uk , make sure to select the driver based on what you see from the
output above. There is no specific driver for Debian or any other distro,
just select Linux 32-bit or Linux 64-bit .. you only need ARM if it is a
mobile device of some sort, or it's one of these chinese laptops.

You should now have file somewhat like NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run

chmod o+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run
(or whatever your file is called)

stop the display manager if it is not stopped allready ( service gdm3
stop    or service lightdm stop )

If it doesn not complain about drivers allready installed just wait and
mostly press ok or yes, you should have either the kernel-headers or
linux-source installed ( make sure to do ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-3.2
linux )

Now, it will take some time to finish.

In the meantime you apply 'the magic' , in /etc/default/grub make sure
nomodeset is present in the GRUB_CMD_LINUX="" or GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

It is possible there is already "quiet splash" present you can just
append it like "quiet splash nomodeset"

If the installation finishes, you should do

modinfo nvidia | grep version

version:        331.20
vermagic:       3.2.0-4-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions

this should show the version like it does below the command, vermagic is
the kernel version, there should also be a nvidia-uvm module

modinfo nvidia-uvm

filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-
uvm.ko
supported:      external
license:        MIT
depends:        nvidia
vermagic:       3.2.0-4-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions

take note /etc/modprobe.conf.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf
should look like the below

alias char-major-195* nvidia
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44
NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
blacklist nouveau

If it is so, it should now be safe to reboot your computer. You won't
believe the speed at which your machine will work on your desktop.