Re: wi-fi hardware disabled

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 08:14:29PM +0200, andrey.rybak@bilkent.edu.tr wrote:
> hi everybody!
> in my network icon in Gnome3 i have "wi-fi hardware disabled". How i can
> enable it?
>
> # lspci -k|grep -i wi -A 3
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network
> Adapter (rev 01)
> 	Subsystem: AzureWave Device 2c97
> 	Kernel driver in use: ath9k
>
> # ip a l wlan0
> 3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default
> qlen 1000
>     link/ether 24:0a:64:8f:52:73 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> Why i have wlan0 down?
> Thanks in advance.

I think it's because it comes that way from the bios, but I could be
wrong. In the case of /etc/network/interfaces, you shouldn't need to
do anything special. If you want to run iwlist, or do something else
that requires the card to be up, then ifconfig up wlan0 should enable
wlan0. Someone else will have to help you as far as enabling it in gnome.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1