Re: How do I mount mmc card so that a non-root user has write access?

kalanga wrote:
> There is no entry for /dev/mmcblk01p1 in fstab.
> How do I find out which daemon is mounting the card?

Good question!  That is very open ended.  It literally could be
anything that someone has written and who is the say the limits to
someone's creativity?

I will start the guessing by asking about gnome-volume-manager because
no one else suggested anything better.  :-)  Do you have it installed?

  dpkg -l gnome-volume-manager

If so then that would be the thing that is mounting your removable
storage automatically.

  $ apt-cache show gnome-volume-manager
   gnome-volume-manager is a GNOME daemon that acts as a policy agent on
   top of the kernel, udev, D-Bus and HAL. It listens to HAL events and
   reacts with user-configurable actions. Currently it supports automount
   of new media and hot-plugged devices, autorun, autoplay for CDs and
   DVDs, and automatic camera management. It is expected to be simple and
   free of polling and other evil hacks.

You said LXDE.  I don't know and was hoping someone else who knew
better about LXDE would say if gnome-volume-manager was being used
there or not.  Often XFCE and LXDE use some components from GNOME and
this seems likely to be one of those components.

However you said your "/media/<blah>" was being owned by root after it
was mounted.  That is not normal for gnome-volume-manager.  Normally
it would set the ownership to be you so that you can access the media.
So something may be wrong.  Or it may actually be something else
mounting it.

Try looking at the system log at the same as as you insert and remove
your removable media.  Look at the messages that are presented there.
Hopefully there will be a clue as to what is happening based upon the
messages seen in the system log.

While changing media:

  tail -f /var/log/syslog

Or use 'less /var/log/syslog' and browse around it in it.  The 'F' in
less will "Follow" the end of the file which is convenient.

Bob