Re: Copy and Paste between xterm and other windows in a Debian XFCE environment

Stephen Powell wrote:
> I am having trouble copying text from an xterm window into another
> application, such as iceweasel, and vice versa.  When I was using
> GNOME, this worked fine between gnome-terminal and other
> applications.  But I'm using XFCE now, and xterm seems to be the
> default terminal emulator application under XFCE.
> Has anyone succeeded in getting this to work in a Debian XFCE
> environment?

Works perfectly for me.  I use left-mouse drag for cut.  I use
right-mouse for extend.  I use middle-mouse for paste.  In both XTerm
and in Iceweasel and Chromium.  Except for extend which doesn't work
in the web browsers.  Extend only works in traditional X clients like
XTerm.

In the web browsers if you use C-c, C-x, C-v those operate on the
clipboard and not the primary selection and so will be mismatched.
But if you use left-mouse, right-mouse, (and middle-mouse in XTerm) in
both then both will use the primary selection.

> I have learned about the difference between the PRIMARY buffer and
> the CLIPBOARD buffer, I have learned about settings to put in
> .Xdefaults, etc.  But none of the techniques I have found work for
> me.

But this is configurable.  Since you have found this perhaps you have
configured it?

  $ xrdb -q | grep -i -e cut -e paste
  ...nothing for me...using the defaults...

In an XTerm control-middle-drag to see the menu.  I do not have Select
to Clipboard checked.

You said .Xdefaults.  Do you want the simple and short answer or the
long and detailed answer?  The short answer is don't use .Xdefaults
but use .Xresources with xrdb instead.  They are subtly different.  If
'xrdb -q' has any output then your .Xdefaults will be ignored.  Almost
every desktop session manager sets something in xrdb which will cause
the .Xdefaults to be ignored.  Ask if you want the longer explanation.
To be simple use xrdb to show what you have in memory.  What you see
there is what is there.  If you don't see it then it isn't there.

  $ xrdb -q | less

To make changes:

  $ $EDITOR .Xresources
  $ xrdb -m .Xresources  # merges your _additions_ with the current
Or:
  $ xrdb -l .Xresources  # loads your complete total set overwriting all

The choice of -m or -l depends upon if you want to merge or completely
overwrite.  For example I remember that with KDE it always wanted to
have its own settings elsewhere and so it was always -m "merge" when
using KDE.  But for example with fvwm where the user controls
everything then -l "load" and overwrite would be appropriate.

> I use a traditional PS/2 mouse.  It has two, and only two, mouse
> buttons.  It has no thumbwheel.

You said two mouse buttons.  In which case the default is to simulate
the middle button by pressing both left and right simultaneously.  X
emulates the three button mouse through the two button interface.  In
the old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file this would have had this option in the
mouse section.

  Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"

It is possible that one of the problems is the middle button emulation
isn't working correctly.

Bob