Re: Collecting information after installation

On Sat 21 Dec 2013 at 12:01:52 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> >
> > By default the screen is cleared of boot messages, There is only a login
> > prompt.
>
> Yes.  Between util-linux 2.17.2-9 and 2.20.1-4 getty has changed and
> it now clears the screen.  This seems like a good thing on the surface
> until you find out that it destroys the boot time messages including
> any errors that are on the screen at the time.  To prevent this a new

The screen clearing was implemented by upstream as a response to
concerns about security. Debian itself has never done it.

> option --noclear has appeared.  Editing the /etc/inittab to add the
> --noclear option to getty will prevent the new screen clearing
> behavior and allow the error messages there to be seen.
>
>     1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1

This is one of the first things I do on any install ; I prefer the
traditional way.

> Also in Wheezy 7 the "bootlogd" is broken out into a separate package.
> If you want bootlogs in /var/log as it was in Squeezy 6 then you need
> to install the new package.
>
>     apt-get install bootlogd
>
> The changelog for the package says:
>
>  sysvinit-utils (2.88dsf-17) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   bootlogd has moved from sysvinit-utils to a separate bootlogd package. If
>   you wish to continue using bootlogd, please install the bootlogd package.
>   Note that the configuration file /etc/default/bootlogd and its option
>   BOOTLOGD_ENABLE no longer exist; if you do not wish to run bootlogd, remove
>   the bootlogd package.

This lucid tip encourages me to consider including it as part of my
normal practice.