Re: startup console

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 09:33:01AM +0700, Diogene Laerce wrote:

> On 12/20/2013 03:44 AM, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> >On Thu, 2013-12-19 at 15:11 +0700, Diogene Laerce wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Does anybody can tell me where I need to go to configure the console
> >>I get before X starts ?
> >>
> >>For now, I get xterm and a minimal env setup, I'd like to configure those ?
> >>I already tried and choose terminator :
> >>
> >>sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator
> >>
> >>But it didn't change anything, I still fall on xterm and it doesn't seem to
> >>take my bashrc.
> >>
> >You get xterm before X starts? Go on...
>
> Sorry but I don't understand your answer : I want to configure and use
> the console when X isn't started.

If X isn't started, then you can't use Xterm (well, you might be able to
using a different graphical server such as wayland or the framebuffer,
but they'd still need some sort of X translation layer).

Before X starts you get the Linux Console. This is typically displayed
on the VGA/VESA console (text mode) or using a framebuffer for
higher-resolution text. The Linux Console is where the boot progress
messages appear and can be accessed by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 to
Ctrl+Alt+F6 when X is running.

Alternatively, if X is started without a desktop environment, there is
usually a minimal xinit (X initialisation file) which starts Xterm and
perhaps TWM as a window manager - though I don't believe debian does
that these days, just xterm.

So, in the first case (using Xterm without X), then configure it as
normal. In the second case, "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup" will allow
you to choose fonts, but you may need to adjust your boot parameters to
change the resolution. In the third case, you need to edit your
~/.Xresources file - try
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_resources#Xterm_resources as a
start.