Re: How to install Packages on Debian-Wheezy

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 08:59 -0500, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Recently completed a successful install of Wheezy in Virtual Box. Runs
> great but slow (for obvious reasons). I'm not looking for
> speed/performance at this point but just looking to learn the
> interface, access and perform functions in terminal (as well as root
> terminal) and run basic programs.
>
> I would like to locate a link that explains in simple terms (if that's
> possible), "How to Install Packages". I've been hours reading about
> this topic via many links but find them helpful to some extent but too
> advanced.
>
> The link below was helpful but then it became difficult to understand.
> I prefer not to start executing commands in root terminal if the
> instructions are a bit overwhelming (at my current level of
> understanding).
>
> http://www.aboutdebian.com/packages.htm
>
> I'm searching for a complete beginners guide that details "simple to
> understand instructions" on "How to install packages" as well as other
> general "how-to's" in Wheezy (current stable). I would much appreciate
> any links and/or suggestions.
>
> My initial interest is to install "OpenOffice". I understand wheezy
> has LibreOffice aready installed but I need OpenOffice as well for a
> project I'm currently working on.
>
> Thank you kindly for your patience and help.
>
> System Specs:
> Acer netbook D255
> Windows 7 (host OS)
> Virtual Box (running debian/wheezy ver. 7.2.0 for i386 as the guest OS)

If you are coming from windoof environment, other than the good docs
others here recommended and I abide, I think you should first understand
that debian has a very distinct approach to software install procedure
when compared to windows. Instead of downloading multiple softwares from
multiple sources on the web and hitting the "setup install procedure"
you should generally install software from the same sources (which are
described on /etc/apt/sources.list and called repositories or repos)
using the same set of commands.

--update your info on repos:
# apt-get update

--upgrade any software that has new versions on repos:
# apt-get upgrade

--search for software based on regex:
# apt-cache search "$regex"

--install software
#apt-get install

--remove software
#apt-get remove/purge

The problem is if you want to use software that was not prepackaged by
debian maintainers. If you are lucky, someone else which seems trustful
might have and you will be able to use "dpkg" which stands for
"de-package" to install it on your system. Otherwise you will have to
compile from sources which is not a nightmare but may be painful for the
beginner when things don't go as expected.

Instead of searching on how to install mybelovedsoftware.exe on debian,
search for debian prepackaged softwares which do the same task as the
software you were used to.

My 2c. And welcome to debian

8)

--