Re: sudo security Was: Reporting missing package during install

Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > How would this be accomplished?  (Answer cannot contain a use of sudo!
> > No circular logic please.)
> > Right.  Because normal users can't change the system time.
>
> Sorry, wrong. With 'folk ALL=(ALL) ALL', user folk can run as root ANY

That is a user that already has full root privileges!  That is not a
normal user.  That is a user that already has root.  If they have root
then they are already an administrator on the system and don't need to
break into it.

> program including 'date -s'. Or at least 'sudo bash', and then live
> happy with a shell executed with the root id.

And what did I specifically say?  I hinted at what would be a wrong
answer.  I said not to give an example using sudo.  Because obviously
root can change the clock.  What did you do?  You gave an example
using sudo to use root to change the clock!  Of course root can change
the clock.  Not an interesting case.

> If your /etc/sudoers contains 'yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL' try running
> sudo date 20000101
> and feel younger ;)

Did you also know that users who have the root password can use su to
become root too?  Users with the root password can change the system.
Shocking!  No.  Not really.

The amount of misinformation in this thread causes me almost physical
pain.

>  > If they could other attacks would also be possible.
>
> Since they can change the date...

Root can always change the date.  That isn't interesting at all.

The better attack against the clock is to attack the network side of
NTP.  If you can adjust the clock from the network (also not possible
in a default configuration) then you could get some grip on this.  But
by default you can't do that against NTP either.

Bob