Re: Hardware Question about RAM and Capacitors

On 12/12/2013 05:03 PM, Goren Buckwalk wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Ralf Mardorf
Sent: 12/12/13 04:01 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Hardware Question about RAM and Capacitors

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 15:45 -0500, Doug wrote:
On 12/12/2013 02:11 PM, Goren Buckwalk wrote:
A agree regarding to the multi-layer, I only half agree regarding to
replacing the capacitors. Could you post a link to a photo? "rusty
looking" could be flux, it not implicitly has to be a broken capacitor.
We unlikely will be able to spot it by a photo, but you never know.
However, if you have to ask, than don't unsolder them on your own ;).

Yes, I do have to ask, so I know not to do.

Pics I can do. However, the angles a bit rough, me leaning on one leg, system is up and running at the end of rack near the wall, luckily I left the side panels off (hosting site found via search engine, but it seems safe. I made close up and smaller versions, but looking at the pics via the site they must have recompressed them, all are under 1 meg some around .3 meg.):

Shaky shot of the worst of the three, other two hidden by CPU:

http://s2.postimg.org/lbrkej89l/DSCN1309.jpg
(full size)

http://s21.postimg.org/nfi2gfet3/DSCN1309_cropped.jpg
(cropped in close-up, has red arrow to the worst and yellow pointing to where the other two are hidding)

http://s21.postimg.org/pb4url3nb/DSCN1309_cropped_small.jpg
(smaller and cropped)

- Shot of all three, almost:

http://s27.postimg.org/iya7t9gjn/DSCN1307.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/z5vhqwe5z/DSCN1307_cropped.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/qgkgju9z9/DSCN1307_cropped_smaller.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/i33u96j5h/DSCN1307_smaller.jpg

- wider but shaky shot:

http://s21.postimg.org/qjsqd7vlj/DSCN1311.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/x72ewgux3/DSCN1311_small.jpg

That brownish color you see is not flux. There would never be any flux on the top of the capacitors. It's caused by the electrolyte leaking out. Probably a close inspection (after you have removed the part) would show some fracture in the aluminum housing, or at least a hole. All the caps should show
just clean aluminum on top, like the other ones you see in the vicinity.

I would be tempted to replace these aluminum electrolytics with tantalum capacitors of the same or slightly larger voltage and capacitance ratings. Under no circumstances use a lower voltage rating than what you are replacing. Much military hardware has been built with tantalum caps, but most consumer equipment
has not, because tantalums are quite a bit more expensive.

Whoever is going to do the actual work, remember that electrolytic capacitors--both aluminum and tantalum --are *polarity sensitive*. they *must* be installed with the same polarity as those being replaced. The board itself may be marked--I just looked at a Foxconn mobo, and it has a + sign next to each electrolytic cap. But if not, before removing the caps, mark the board with a + sign where the positive end goes, or with a minus sign where the negative side is. (Aluminum caps are usually marked with a white stripe at the negative polarity. Tantalums, however, are usually marked with a + sign nearest the positive lead.)

Depending on the values you need, you might find them at Radio Shack. They don't have a large selection, and their prices are about 5 times what the actual value is, but for three pieces, that's the simplest.
Otherwise, Digikey will definitely have what you need.

--doug