Re: startx + ~/.xsession and no ~/.xinitrc, results in reduced functionality (xfce4, sid)

On Thu 12 Dec 2013 at 17:23:31 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> What seemed like a good idea, at, the, time ... is longer looking so
> good. Any ideas why this odd behaviour would appear as it does?

You could try following the advice given in

   /usr/share/doc/xfce4-session/README.Debian

Selectively quoting we have

   * only use startx, without any argument
   * don't use a .xinitrc, use .xsession

and later

   Then you need to fine-tune your pam installation so ConsoleKit
   can be sure that your user is correctly authenticated. For that,
   you need to:

   * install libpam-ck-connector
   * put:

   ----
   session   optional  pam_loginuid.so
   ----

   *before* pam_ck_connector.so in /etc/pam.d/common-session.

This works for me.

> In the meantime, it looks like I'll have to go back to using .xinitrc

Then your X session is probably not set up correctly so you will have to
deal with that in the .xinitrc.