Re: Network services started before NIC UP.

Erwan David wrote:
> Bob Proulx said:
> > Erwan David wrote:
> > > I have a problem that services are started on a server I manage before
> > > link is UP. This leads to some services failing, or not bound to every
> > > addresses :
> >
> > Please say what release track you are using?  Unstable, Testing, Stable?
>
> I use testing.

Testing.  Gotcha.

> > Please say whether you are using parallel boot or not.
>
> I use the stndard testing sysVrc with "make style parrallel boot".
>
> > Running
> > 'insserv' manually and noting any errors and reporting them would be
> > very useful.
> >
> >   # insserv -v
> >   insserv: creating .depend.boot
> >   insserv: creating .depend.start
> >   insserv: creating .depend.stop
>
> No error.

Very good.  Many systems upgrading from Squeeze 6 to Wheezy 7 are held
back to the legacy boot ordering due to "obsolete conffiles" in
/etc/init.d that don't contain LSB headers.

> > The 'ntpdate' package is obsolete.  You should remove it and let ntpd
> > do the task itself.  I think that is very likely the problem.  I think
> > you have an old ntpdate package installed when it should have been
> > removed.  I think this old package is one (of possibly several) that
> > is causing the boot sequence to be legacy mode instead of the current
> > parallel mode controlled by insserv.  I think because of those things
> > the boot order is unhappy on your system.
>
> I maay remove ntpdate, but other services are touched by the
> problem. Most annoyings are the dibbler dhcpv6 client (which does not
> get any answer) and NSD name server (which binds to the IPv4 address
> but not to the IUPv6 one which is at that time not yet configured).

In that case we will need to keep peeling back layers until the root
cause is found.  How are you starting the network?  Is this a section
listed in /etc/network/interfaces?  Please show us the section.  Or is
this using NetworkManager / wicd?  (If NetworkManager/wicd then there
will be no section in /etc/network/interfaces for your network
device.  No config there means that NM/wicd manages it.)

To get ahead in the discussion I will suggest this excellent reference
for understanding the /etc/network/interfaces file.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_basic_syntax_of_etc_network_interfaces

Just for the purposes of debugging if you are using "allow-hotplug"
then try switching that to "auto".  In theory allow-hotplug should
always work but since it is the newer event driven method sometimes
there are still bugs to be found.  It is possible that your case is
one of those.  Try "auto" instead and see if that older start ordering
causes things to work in the correct way.

The errors you showed in the log file were from dns name resolution
failures.  How are nameservers configured for your machine?  Are you
using DHCP to set them?  Or are they statically definited?  Are you
running a local machine nameserver daemon such as bind9 or dnsmasq or
other?  What is in the /etc/resolv.conf file?

Bob