Postgresql setup on Debian system

I just switched from using PHP and Mysql to Python / Django and Postgresql. I am having trouble with the setup of Postgresql permissions. I am locked out of some parts of the system and am unsure when to use postgres login vs user login. Most of the Postgresql instructions are written for non-debian like installations. They have one do a bunch of things that Debian does automatically (I think). I found the Debian README confusing, especially in regards to setting up a special shell that I don't think I need. Most of the instructions seem to have already been done automatically.

I'm using Debian Wheezy with a KDE4 desktop. My main problem is security although I am not sure whether there are any tweeks that need to be done manually. Tweeks seem to be the rule for most installations.

If I seem vague, it's because I'm confused. I need information on security for the engine vs. the individual databases etc. There are various references to changes needed in config files and as mentioned above, the set up of a special shell for Postgresql. I don't understand the need for the shell and don't believe that a lot of the scripts and config changes are necessary if you are using Debian. Most of the documentation I have found seems to concentrate on Windoz and Mac installations. If someone knows where there is an up to date road map for a debian installation I will be eternally grateful. I'm not trying to become a guru on the system, I just want the damn thing to work.

Gary R.