Re: Debianly Correct place to add ~/bin to $PATH ? - .xsession vs .xinitrc

On Wed 11 Dec 2013 at 11:15:11 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> On 12/11/13, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>
> > I prefer:
> >
> > ,----[ ~/.xsession ]
> > | #!/bin/bash --login
> > | exec x-session-manager
> > `----
> >
> > And VERY IMPORTANT FOR THE ABOVE then be sure to:
> >
> >   chmod a+x ~/.xsession
>
> This looks like an elegant solution. Thank you.
>
> I currently have .xinitrc with a single line:
> exec ck-launch-session startxfce4
>
> Is .xession (as you show above) better or different to .xinitrc ?

I'd associate .xinitrc with xinit and startx (which is a frontend for
xinit).

xdm uses xsession (and .xsession if it exists).

On a Debian system xession (plus .xession) gives the same X environment
whether it is started by xinit, startx or xdm (or, I assume, gdm etc).