Re: Shutting down lessens computer life............

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Charlie <ariestao@skymesh.com.au> wrote:

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:27:15 +0100 Gian Uberto Lauri sent:

> I know that shutting down the machine saves electricity, but heating
> and cooling is the mechanical stress that hits the non-moving
> components of your computer, computer that turn off less often live
> longer.

I wonder if the above is right? I've seen it written somewhere
before? Maybe it only applies for desktops?

Both these are switched off sometimes after only 15 minutes powered up,
depending on the charge in the solar batteries. But mostly on for at
least 8 hours in 24, but switched on and off no less than 6 times
during that period.

I remember reading a report in the mid-90s stating that one of the biggest life-shortening properties of powering on and off was heating and cooling of the hard drive bearings. Now, that said, I do not know how much change has occurred in hard drive bearings, though I would have to guess that modern hard drives do not get as hot..