Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Monday 02 December 2013 14:21:21 AP wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I use POP3.  The emails download just as they would from any
> > mailserver.  I then read, reply, edit etc. my emails off-line.
> > With the difference that Gmail archives my emails as soon as I
> > have downloaded them, instead of deleting them.
> >
> > I rarely read my emails online.  When I do, they still download
> > when I next launch KMail.
> >
> > I reply online as rarely as possible.  I like a comfortable life!
> >
> > IMAP is also possible.  This is standard IMAP, just as POP3 is
> > quite normal, as far as I can see.
>
> Lisi thanks for this because you explained very clearly about POP
> and IMAP which both are great tools for mail clients. And I would
> try both.
>
> Can you please also let me know about Thunderbird if you have
> experience with it?

Yes, I have experience of it.  It is good email client.  But I
personally do not like it as much as many people do.  It used to be
much better for newbies than other clients, but I think that that is
no longer true.

Depending on circumstances, it is a plus point that it is available
for several OS's.  It can be useful if someone is reluctant to leave
Windows.  Change over to Linux is less traumatic if someone can use
it first in Windows and continue to use the same applications in
Linux.

I always install Thunderbird if I am setting up a Windows box for
someone.  Well, I did when I still had to have contact with Windows.
And the same for Firefox.  Now that Google Chrome is available and is
cross-platform, I would offer both.

I used to install Thunderbird for newbies whose boxen I was
administering.  I still have one person using Thunderbird.  He has
adapted it to his needs and obviously wants to stick with it.

But it is not what I now install.  You cannot go wrong with it, but I
do not think that it is the best.  It has, however got a lot of
add-ons, which some people appreciate.  It also has good
documentation available (on line) which is too rarely true of FLOSS,
and is a great advantage.

HTH,
Lisi