Re: Can't install any packages, "APT_HOOK_INFO_FD is not correctly defined"

On 27/11/13 19:14, John Magolske wrote:
> * Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> [131126 23:43]:
>> On 27/11/13 17:46, John Magolske wrote:
>>> I'm finding I can't install any packages with `aptitude dist-upgrade`
>>> `aptitude install ...` etc, keep getting this:
>>>
>>>   % sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
>>>   [...]
>>>   E: APT_HOOK_INFO_FD is not correctly defined.
>>>   E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || exit 10 returned an error code (10)
>>>   E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || exit 10
>>>   A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
>>
>> *A package failed to install.*
>>
>> Try:-
>> # apt-get -sf install | more
>>
>> and see what it says.
>>
>> If it suggests a rational solution repeat without the -s *then* do:-
>> # apt-get upgrade
>>
>> Only then should you dist-upgrade.
>
> Any `apt-get install` fails with an error message related to
> "APT_HOOK_INFO_FD is not correctly defined". For example:
>
>   # apt-get -sf install jupp | more
>   Reading package lists...
>   Building dependency tree...
>   Reading state information...
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>     jupp
>   0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 280 not upgraded.
>   Inst jupp (3.1.26-1 Debian:unstable [i386])
>   Conf jupp (3.1.26-1 Debian:unstable [i386])
>
>   # apt-get -f install jupp | more
>   Reading package lists...
>   Building dependency tree...
>   Reading state information...
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>     jupp
>   E: APT_HOOK_INFO_FD is not correctly defined.
>   E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || exit 10 returned an error code (10)
>   E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || exit 10
>   0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 280 not upgraded.
>   Need to get 0 B/202 kB of archives.
>   After this operation, 615 kB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> `apt-get upgrade` gets that message as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

When you say "any apt-get install" fails did you actually try exactly
what I suggested?

# apt-get -sf install

Not:-

# apt-get install $something

I'd suggest you try seeing what "apt-get -f install" suggests needs
fixing instead of presuming it's a particular package, especially as the
message seems to imply it's not judd.

Kind regards