Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:40:22PM +0530, AP wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > You are going to get a lot of opinions here, and as a result you may be
> > just as confused as you are now!
>
> Yes, but I guess reading the great experiences would just create a
> broader picture in my mind. Though it is true that confusion could get
> generated but still I would manage with one distribution to start with
> and eventually see the LIVE CDs of all.
>
> > But here are some points to consider:
> > You're right that the kernel is just about the same for all. It's the
> > realization of the system,
>
> Ok. And I guess it is the "kernel" which is Linux.

You *guess*? You still won't do any reading? How many times do you have
to be told? So far you've had your hand held on 3 different lists,
bikeshed, fedora-users, and now debian-users.

> > mainly two particulars, that distinguish each from another. The two are the Graphic User Interface (GUI) and
> > the package manager.
>
> > The GUI is responsible for much of the system requirements. You will
> > be much better off using LXDE or XFCE as a GUI, since their system
> > requirements are the lowest. You should not be looking at GNOME,
> > in any of its variations, or KDE, with your low-end hardware.
>
> Low-end hardware probably means the end users' hardware...

Hardware is always the end users'. Low end means the lowest in terms of
price. Usually junk.

> > PCLOS has an LXDE version which I have tried, and it works fine, altho I
> > use its big brother KDE. But I have the hardware to do so.
> > LXDE looks somewhat like Windows, so it should be easy to adapt to.
>
> Well, and also I heard it is light weight.

He already said that. Read.

"since their system requirements are the lowest"

> > The other differentiator is the package manager. I have a very strong
> > opinion here: the package manager MUST display the available programs
> > that you can choose from. If it doesn't, you will have to have a list
> > from somewhere. The idea of using "apt-get-install filename" is just
> > beyond my belief. So you need some kind of file manager that displays
> > all available files, and you just highlight one and tell it install.
> > I am partial to Synaptic, which is available on Mint and PCLOS, and I
> > don't know what else.
>
> Oh.
>
> > That said, for the user, there is not much to choose between deb and
> > RPM. I haven't tried to create either of these from scratch, altho I
> > have looked at the creation of RPMs, and it looks hairy. If you need
> > to obtain some software that is not in the distro's repo, (they all
> > tell you not to, but sometimes you must) most manufacturers who
> > supply apps in deb also supply the same apps in RPM. Some don't
> > supply either, and you have to unpack, compile, and install yourself,
> > but that is not difficult.
>
> > Now let the fur fly!
>
> Well, thanks for this explanation. You mean for end users, it won't
> really matter much which one to use. Just use one and get started!

Make your choice from using a variety of live cds. When using a live cd
make sure your sound works, that you can get an internet connection, and
your monitor displays correctly. Beyond that flip a coin.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped