Can't get C-128 emulation to work in VICE.

I am running Wheezy ( I think ) x86_64.
using KDE for my desktop.  I installed  VICE and  downloaded the roms
according to README_ROMs.
I can't get the C128  to run. (The Plus4 doesn't run either but I'm
less interested in that.)
The 64 but not 64dtv, vic20, PET, and CBM-II work.

rick@Ricks-debian:~$ x128 -verbose
getting symbol guess_format failed!
*** VICE Version 2.3 ***
OS compiled for: Linux
GUI compiled for: GTK+
CPU compiled for: AMD64/x86_64
Compiler used: GCC-4.7.1
Current OS: not yet implemented
Current CPU: Unknown CPU

Welcome to x128, the free portable C128 Emulator.

Current VICE team members:
D. Lem, A. Matthies, M. Pottendorfer, S. Trikaliotis, M. van den Heuvel,
C. Vogelgsang, F. Gennari, D. Kahlin, A. Lankila, Groepaz, I. Korb,
E. Smith, O. Seibert.

This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
See the "About VICE" command for more info.

XRandR: XRandR reports current display: 3600x1200@50
Error - ROM /usr/lib/vice/C128/kernal: short file.
C128MEM: Error - Couldn't load kernal ROM `kernal'.
Error - Machine initialization failed.

Exiting...
Error - Incorrect checkbyte for trap `TapeFindHeader'.  Not installed.
Error - Incorrect checkbyte for trap `TapeReceive'.  Not installed.

rick@Ricks-debian:~$

--

Amateur Radio AD5DU.