RE: Installing Debian inside Windows 7 utilizing VirtualBox

From: Wally Lepore [mailto:wallylepore@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:52 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Installing Debian inside Windows 7 utilizing VirtualBox

Hi Members,

I would like to run Debian and test new software packages utilizing Debian as a virtual environment. inside my Windows 7 OS. I would like to be able to install Debian in this fashion and have the ability to utilize a Debian GUI desktop as well.

Question #1 please:

Would kindly like to know if Oracle's VM VirtualBox is the recommended "virtualization software package" to install to accomplish this procedure.

Question #2 please:

Which "Stable" version of Debian ("Squeeze" or "Wheezy") is recommended that would best serve this purpose?

I have been reading about VirtualBox and studying the steps involved to install Debian in this manner. I'm sure I will have additional questions but would simply like to start with my initial questions above.

A couple of how-to links I've discovered:

Thank you

I am running Wheezy and Jessie/sid, in different MS Windows 7 directories of course, in the current version of VMware Player without any problems whatsoever.

I have also evaluated the Oracle VM, but prefer the VMware player as I have not run into any problems with installing Debian.

Download the iso and follow the installer prompts.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                                    Life is a fuzzy set

Foundation for Chemistry                                   Stochastic and multivariate

www.FoundationForChemistry.com

(614)312-7528 (c)

Skype:  smolnar1