Re: about MS email retrieve

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 23:22:42 +0800
lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My work email is Microsoft exchange one. It seems that the Microsoft
> exchange can be accessed either via outlook or webpage.
>
> I use icedove, currently has the ExQuilla plugin to retrieve email,
> but seems ExQuilla going to expire.
>
> So I wonder, how can I retrieve this email?
>
> what is interesting is that, we share the same account (username as
> well as password) in all servers, such as for the login of windows,
> for the HPC, for the email, even wireless connection.
> I wonder, how can they update and connect these in one big database?
> Since they shared the same account, and there is a local server here
> to collect Microsoft exchange email, I wonder, can I simply logged in
> this server and read these as some directory or something?

No. Exchange stores email in an encrypted relational database, and if
certain things go wrong, *nobody* can read it. I have failed a couple
of times to restore a broken mailbox, using the official MS tools,
though they usually work. Exchange is a humungous beast, designed to
provide appropriate security for military, medical and legal email
(i.e. only US security services can read it) and everyone else, even a
one-man-band using the Small Business Server, has to live with it as
there are no MS alternatives.

As Erwan has said, login to an MS domain is to a single login server
(with replicated backups in larger organisations) which uses,
basically, LDAP and Kerberos to issue time-limited tickets to authorise
appropriate activities. With the right privileges, fairly standard LDAP
tools can be used to query and manipulate the database. Generally,
users won't have much in the way of privileges, and you shouldn't be
able to login to any server directly.

A couple of other possibilities, if the administrators are friendly:
Exchange can also provide POP3 and IMAP4 connections, but these are not
enabled by default. The Outlook interface, as you probably know, uses
an undisclosed proprietary protocol which changes regularly. Outlook
2013 is not compatible with Exchange 2003 and earlier, for example,
other than by the (probably reluctantly) standard POP3 or IMAP4.

--
Joe