Re: Install Google Chrome

On 19/11/13 16:06, erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com wrote:

> [...]

The above is because google-chrome does not have it's required
dependancies. That's because you seem to be running Wheezy and require
backports to provide the packages.  See my suggested actions further down.

>     E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
>     specify a solution).
>
>     root@meow:/opt# apt-get -f install
>     Reading package lists... Done
>     Building dependency tree
>     Reading state information... Done
>     Correcting dependencies... Done
>     The following packages will be REMOVED:
>     --->>>  google-chrome-stable <<<----
>     0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
>     1 not fully installed or removed.
>     After this operation, 158 MB disk space will be freed.
>     Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
>     Abort.

This is where you should have continued *if* you had backports enabled
*and* the apt database knew about the packages available in that
repository.  (Read on)

>     root@meow:/opt# dpkg -l google-chrome-stable
>     Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
>     Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
>     |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
>     ||/ Name           Version        Description
>     +++-==============-==============-============================================
>     iU  google-chrome- 31.0.1650.57-1 The web browser from Google
>     root@meow:/opt# dpkg -l google-chrome-stable
>     Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
>     Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
>     |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
>     ||/ Name
>     Version                           Description
>     +++-=================================-=================================-==================================================================================
>     iU  google-chrome-stable
>     31.0.1650.57-1                    The web browser from Google

Don't worry about it. Easily fixed.

>     Debian wants to remove what was installed.  I Can we solve this??

Just finish (say yes)
# apt-get -f install

That will remove the partially installed google-chrome

Then remove the package you originally installed from the /opt directory
(the installer will still be sitting there)

Make sure you have both backports and the google-chrome repository
listed in /etc/apt/sources.list or somewhere in /etc/apt/sources.list/*.list

Update the apt database
# apt-get update

Now install the latest google-chrome stable *and* it's dependancies:-
# apt-get install google-chrome-stable
(say yes)

Let us know if you have any problems after that.

<snipped>

Kind regards