SOLVED was: Re: eth0 "disabled" after upgrade Squeeze to Wheezy

Hi, Andrei!
On Friday 15 November 2013 19:35:50 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 15 nov 13, 18:34:36, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > I did - and have just checked again.  network-manger is preceded
> > by a "p" if I do an "aptitude search network manager".  Pity.
> > Removing network-manager would be so simple!!
>
> Ok, considering that your previous setup was DHCP I would try
> setting up the connection "manually".
>
> # dhclient eth0

Worked!!  So I was in a position to send verbatim errors and long
files ot teh list. :-)

> If this works you'll know the basic infrastructure works and you
> can look at why ifupdown is failing. BTW, did you try reinstalling
> it? What does dpkg think about it:

I ran *all* the following commands in the order here, and took care to
save the results.  But see later.....
> $ dpkg -l ifupdown
>
> Other things to check:
>
> $ aptitude search '?broken'
> $ dpkg --audit

Showed that ifupdown - and a whole lot of other packages - was not
configured.  It needed iproute to agree to configure, so I configured
both and now I have netwrok connectivity. \o/

> Check also the output of 'mount' and compare to /etc/fstab. See
> also that /run exists (it should be a tmpfs).
>
> Did you try booting text only? For kdm the simplest method seems to
> be
>
> # update-rc.d kdm disable ; reboot
>
> (you can reverse this with 'enable' or 'defaults')
>
> Hope this helps,

It most certainly did.  Thank you very much,
Lisi