Re: eth0 "disabled" after upgrade Squeeze to Wheezy

On Friday 15 November 2013 18:40:23 Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Friday 15 November 2013 17:06:55 Tom H wrote:
> >> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Lisi Reisz
> >> <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>

> >> cat /etc/network/interfaces
> >
> > It was:
> > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your
> > system # and how to activate them. For more information, see
> > interfaces(5).
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > auto eth0
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > It is now <%$&()&^$£%>:
> > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your
> > system # and how to activate them. For more information, see
> > interfaces(5).
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > # The primary network interface
>
> Are you comparing pre- and post-diest-upgrade?

No - both post dist-upgrade.  I edited the interfaces file from
allow-hotplug to auto as an early attempt at troubleshooting.  Then
the lines disappeared altogether during this trouble-shooting.

> Re-adding the two etho lines should fix it all for you - unless a
> reboot deletes them, somehow!

it did. :-(

> If it happened via the dist-upgrade (and not via debconf), grepping
> "/var/lib/dpkg/info/*" for "/etc/network/interfaces" might give you
> the culprit; most likely the ifupdown scripts in there.

It happened the first time I rebooted _after_ the dist-upgrade.

grep drew a blank, so I searched manually.  There are some Trinity
files re network that I had better look into before I bother you two
further.  I am most grateful for all the help.

Lisi