Re: eth0 "disabled" after upgrade Squeeze to Wheezy

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 15 November 2013 15:29:00 Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> I have just upgraded a client's computer to Wheezy. It appeared
>>> to go well and there was certainly an internet connection: it
>>> would not have been able to upgrade otherwise!
>>>
>>> Now there is none. I have checked /etc/network/interfaces and
>>> changed "allow-hotplug" to "auto", just for something to try. :-(
>>> It made no difference. I pinged the gateway, largely so that I
>>> could report that I had done so. I got the error message
>>> "Network is unreachable".
>>>
>>> KControl tells me that eth0 is "disabled". How and why is it
>>> disabled? More importantly, **how do I enable it?**
>>
>> Has eth0 been renamed? What's the output of "ip a"?

> Thanks, Tom. :-)

You're welcome.

> # ifup -a
> ifup: failed to open statefile /run/network/ifstate: No such file or
> directory
>
> I misread at first - but "ifup a" produces the same result.
>
>> (Did you run "ifup -a" or "ifup eth0" after changing
>> "allow-hotplug" to "auto"?)
>
> Yes - and have restarted several times now. :-(
>
> "ifconfig -a" shows eth0 and lo, neither of which has an IP.

"ip a" == "ip address show" (== "ifconfig -a").

"ifup -a" should bring up all interfaces marked "auto" (or
"allow-auto") in "/etc/network/interfaces". (Is the latter OK?)

The "networking" init script must (I haven't checked it) create
"/run/network". etc.

Change the shebang of "/etc/init.d/networking" to "#!/bin/sh -ex" and
run "/etc/init.d/networking stop" then "/etc/init.d/networking start".