Re: New laptop...........

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma@web.de> wrote:
> On 11/14/2013 08:35 PM, Charlie wrote:
>>
>> Had to get a new laptop, my 7 year old Acer needs replacing bought a
>> Toshiba C50D Satellite.
>>
>> But can't get into the BIOS by the way that is posted on the net. Press
>> F2 before powering up.
>>
>> Tried Esc and Del and a combination of all three.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas how it might be done? I might be stuck with
>> having to use Windows. [sad]
>
> Should you currently using Windows 8 or 8.1, you might experience the
> problem that Windows 8 or newer do not really shut down by default:
> Instead, all applications are terminated and the system is suspended to
> disk (similar to "hibernate" before Windows 8). As a result, you might
> need to "restart" or choose to boot into the BIOS from the Windows GUI
> to do a "real" reboot.

+1

Win8 uses Fast Boot/Hybrid Shutdown be default, which means that all
applications are shutdown but the systemd is suspended.

You have to boot into Win8 and either (1) shutdown fully with
"shutdown /s /t 0" from a command prompt or (2) turn off Fast Boot in
the control panel's power options and shutdown.

You'll then be able to boot and use the Toshiba F-key to enter the
UEFI firmware to turn off Secure Boot (since Debian doesn't support
it) and then choose to boot from a CD from the Boot Manager screen.