Re: After installing systemd, slim fails to load desktop.

On 13/11/13 15:27, Just_Me wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Scott Ferguson [via Debian] <[hidden
> email] </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=3103895&i=0>> wrote:
>
>     On 13/11/13 13:15, Just_Me wrote:
>
>     > Slim freezes doing nothing. I had to use startx to start desktop.
>     > slim.service is enabled btw.
>     >
>     > $ systemctl status slim
>     > ---------------------------------------------
>     >
>     > slim.service - LSB: Start/stop the SLiM daemon.
>     >    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/slim)
>     >    Active: active (running) since Wed 2013-11-13 08:40:04 UTC
>     >    CGroup: name=systemd:/system/slim.service
>     >            ├─977 /usr/bin/slim -d
>     >            └─980 /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp -auth
>     /var/run/slim.auth vt07
>     >
>     > ---------------------------------------------
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     http://debian.2.n7.nabble.com/After-installing-systemd-slim-fails-to-load-desktop-tp3103873.html
>     > Sent from the Debian User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>     >
>     >

>     Which Debian release?
>     What DE?
>     Any error log info?
>
>     NOTE: slim is not a DM so *if* you are using xdm/gdm/kdm (but not
>     Openbox) try:-
>     $ DM=$(ls /etc/init.d/ | grep dm);su -c "service $DM start"  (or "sudo
>     service $DM start" if you have sudo installed) instead of startx
>

>     Sorry don't have access till this evening to the Wheezy systemd OpenBox
>     laptop - but I "think" I just installed systemd and ran "systemctl
>     enable slim.service" and everything just worked next boot. I may have
>     modified ~/.xinitrc to allow for DM choices but I'll have to check.
>

>     Kind regards
>
> this is my second install of systemd. the first went well no issues
> whatsoever with slim then few days ago my HD went kaput on me so i got
> the replacement(the same hd model spec everything) both my previous
> setup and my current are almost identical in the way i setup from
> netinstall. same apps/drivers/kernel/etc.. the slim loads fine but then
> i went and install systemd, reboot, login and it refuses to login just
> sitting there doing nothing not even an error spit out. i even checkd
> dmesg, not a single error on slim either.
>
> *im running debian sid/openbox/slim

I'd:-
$ su -c "grep 'WW\|EE\|NI\|??' /var/log/Xorg.0.log"

or if you use sudo:-
$ sudo grep 'WW\|EE\|NI\|??' /var/log/Xorg.0.log)

Then I'd go through:-
$ su -c "dpkg-reconfigure systemd slim $DM [etc]"  (use sudo instead of
su -c as appropriate)

I'll check my setup when I get back to the office and post here if I
find anything relevant.

Kind regards