Re: Questions about new hardware & Debian (or Linux in general)

Hi

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 05:03:44PM -0500, Jon N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been a Debian user for I'd guess 7 or 8 years now.  I would
> like to thank all of you that helped create a system that is so
> useful.  Despite using it for so long I am far from a power users, I
> basically rely on the fact that it works well (or if it doesn't it
> will soon :-)).
>
> My current computer is also about that old and I am finally planning
> on buying some new hardware.  A lot of stuff has changed in that time
> that's new to me, so I would like to ask some general questions before
> I purchase to save some potential headaches later.

Rule of thumb: stick with off-the-shelf stuff :-) You don't want to be
the first guy with some esoteric hardware.

> I guess one of the 1st issues I might have to deal with is UEFI, since
> if there are any issues with that it could show up when trying to
> install the OS.  At the moment I'm not planning on installing another
> OS on the computer, but that may change.  I do have Windows XP on my
> current system, but I will probably leave it there.  I have considered
> installed another Linux distribution in the future just to see how it
> may be different.  Hopefully different distributions of Linux will
> play nicely, at least as far as the question of UEFI.

I cannot help you in the UEFI area, but it should be relatively easy
to convert your XP installation into a virtual machine - should run
fine inside e.g. VirtualBox.

> So, to sum it up, what do I need to know about Linux, or Debian, and UEFI?

It probably "just works" :-) Only booting a single OS makes things
much less error-prone here.

--
Karl E. Jorgensen