Re: /etc/fstab question

On 11 November 2013 06:47, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>> to which I added this line
>> /dev/sda5    /owlett    ext2    rw,users,exec
>
> 'users' should be 'user'.  Also add '0  0' at he end of the line.

According to 'man 5 fstab', adding '0 0' is unecessary:

  "If the fifth field is not present, a value of zero is returned"

and

  "If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned".

The zeros are only required as placeholders for following nonzero values.
If they are all zero, they don't do anything.

And in my observation, the same goes for "defaults" in the 4th field,
it is only required as a placeholder if either of field 5 or 6 are in use.
Otherwise it can be omitted too.

Typically, field4="defaults" and field5=0 are required when field6 is
nonzero to activate a fsck on the device at boot.

If fsck is not required at boot, and field 6 is zero, then I omit all these
values. I have /etc/fstab entries with only 3 fields, it works as I describe.