Re: Permission issue

Siard wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
> > My dual boots Squeeze and Wheezy.
> > I've created a partition whose function in life is to be
> > essentially a scratch pad for all groups/users of both.
> > How do I force all files to be written to that partition to be
> > readable AND writable to everybody?
>
> By putting a line like this one in both /etc/fstab's:
>
> /dev/sdb3   /data   ext3   rw,user,exec

I don't think it will do what you want it to do.  The user flag allows
a *user* to mount the filesystem.  Otherwise superuser is required.
Usually the "user" flag is coupled with the "noauto" flag.  The noauto
flag prevents it from automatic mounting at boot time.  That way
something isn't mounted at boot time but any user may mount it later.
And importantly when the user mounts it later the user:group is mapped
to the user's user:group ids.  Here is a typical use entry of it.

  /dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0 0

I didn't try this with a full disk writable file system because I
don't have time to run the experiment.  But I believe that without the
noauto flag that it will be mounted at boot time automatically.  The
user in that case will be root.  Therefore the "user" flag will set
the user:group of all files to root:root.  That is why the files are
showing up with lock icons.  They are writable only by the root user.

Therefore using the "user" flag here just doesn't seem like the thing
you want to do to accomplish what you want.

Bob