Re: Installing same packages in a Squeeze installation in a new Wheezy installation

Dmitrii Kashin wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Ken Heard wrote:
> > in APT supporting 'apt-get autoremove'.  With regards to that the
> > above no longer works well.  For one problem it completely breaks the
> > extended_states paradigm.
> >
> > The extended_states paradigm is to track for each package whether it
> > was installed manually or installed as a dependency of another
> > package.  If you install foo and foo depends upon libfoo then foo is
> > marked as manual and libfoo is marked as automatic.
>
> Yes. I have been skimming the whole thread for 10 minutes trying to know
> if somebody remember about autoremove. So I am very glad to see your
> letter. But I would like to append your answer.
>
> I did a migration from Squeeze to Wheezy a while ago, getting the list
> of manually installed packages by command:
>
> % aptitude search '?installed ?not(?automatic)' | awk '{print $2}'

Ah, very good.

> It is a very convenient way. And the only case I agree that aptitude is
> useful.

In Wheezy 7 and later there is now the apt-mark command with the
showmanual action.  (Squeeze 6 has apt-mark but not showmanual.)

  apt-mark showmanual

Much less typing now and perhaps quite a bit faster too. :-)

Bob