Grub, Raid, LVM

Hi Folks,

	I've been dealing with a frustratingly vexing issue for a while, and am
at a loss on where to go next.

	Basically, We have a 8x 3TB drive system that I'm trying to install
Wheezy on.  During the install each drive is partitioned with a 1MB BIOS
Boot partition, followed by a RAID partition taking up the rest of the
space.  The 8 RAID partitions are made into a RAID6 array (8 active, 0
spare), which is used for a volume group. Two logical volumes (for now)
are in there, for / and swap. (/ is ext4)

	When ever I try to boot the system, I'm stuck at the grub rescue prompt
after Grub spits out "error: no such disk.". Doing ls shows all eight
drives (hd0) as well as their associated partitions (hd3,gpt2).  Unlike
the multiple VMs of this setup that I've created on my laptop, there are
no (md) or (Logical-Volume-Name) entries.  Prefix and Root are set to
(LV-OS), and attempts to set them to other values fail.

	I've also attempted an identical install, but with a 200MB Raid
partition as the second partition, RAID1'd with ext2 /boot.  No
difference. (Actually, the installer fails to use it.  I've manually
copied the files and edited fstab. Updating/reinstalling grub afterwards
gets the same result.)

	Every VM I've created works with no problems, but it always fails on
the actual hardware. Every theory I can come up with should also fail on
the VMs. Is there a way to make sure the bios boot partition is being
used? Would the fact that the physical install puts the usb drive as sda
be an issue?  I've tried editing device.map and updating/reinstalling
grub, but no dice.

	It seems to me that for some reason Grub can't get to it's raid related
modules.  I've checked /boot/grub/grub.cfg. The auto-generated file does
contain all the insmod lines for raid, raid6rec,mdraid1x, lvm, a bunch
of part_gpt, and ext2.

	Love to hear any ideas, no matter how far-fetched.

	-PaulNM