Re: Why Debian

I use debian because I used to use Kubuntu. I started with Mandrake, watched
it become Mandriva, tried 'buntu with 7.04.

I loved it. It worked great, the community was great. I was an LTS guy, don't
like the six month upgrade cycle. I have other things to do with my system
rather than install software and upgrade it. My computer is a tool, not my
life.

Than the quality of the releases kept getting worse - even the LTS releases.
It was as if the Cannonical QA Department was partying all the time. Also
there was the whole Kmail-Akanodi-Nepomuk fiasco going on with the Kmail
developers (NOT 'buntu's fault). If I went beyond 10.04 on Kubuntu I would
have to migrate over 10 years of email from kmail to something else.

Don't want to do that.

So I got acquainted with Squeeze and later Wheezy. I am happy. I can do my
work and other things. I don't get a kernel update every two weeks. Hibernate
works on my laptop (another 'buntu hit or miss). I have 46 days of uptime on
the laptop I lug everywhere.

I will stay with Debian because once I get it set up the way I want it, it
stays out of my way.

Mike