Re: Error trying to update Lenny...

Account for Debian group mail wrote:
> My source list looks like this:
>
> deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-security lenny/updates main contrib
> deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib
> deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
> deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-security lenny/updates main contrib
> deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib

First, trim your Lenny entries.  Only one of those is valid.  Remove
all others and keep only this one entry.

  deb http://archive.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free

Because as the others have said there are no longer any updates for
Lenny.  The bits are available only as a historical archive.  Of
course that is still alive and useful for various reasons.  But
instead of the hierarchy it is only available as a single historical
archive of the last release version contour.

> I'm trying to update Lenny and get the following error:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> W: GPG error: http://archive.debian.org lenny/updates Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1356982504
> W: GPG error: http://archive.debian.org lenny/volatile Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1358963195
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

As you have been trying to do I think this just means that you need to
update your keyring in the debian-archive-keyring package.  I checked
a legacy Lenny server of mine and I am not getting a key expiration
warning.  And as far as I can see I have not made any disabling of it
manually either.

> When I try to get an updated keyring:
>
> apt-get install debian-archive-keyring
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> debian-archive-keyring is already the newest version.
>
> It tells me it is already up to date.

What version does it say?  Mine says:

  # apt-cache policy debian-archive-keyring
  debian-archive-keyring:
    Installed: 2010.08.28~lenny1
    Candidate: 2010.08.28~lenny1
    Version table:
   *** 2010.08.28~lenny1 0
          500 http://archive.debian.org lenny/main Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Perhaps you installed too new of a version?  If so then go to
snapshot.debian.org and retrieve an appropriate version.  Then install
it with 'dpkg -i' on the file.  Then 'apt-get update'.

  http://snapshot.debian.org/package/debian-archive-keyring/

Hopefully that is the problem.

Bob