Re: Compiling kernel: problem!

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:07:58 -0500 (EST), Antispammbox-debian wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I try compiling kernel 3.10 on Squeeze 6.0.7. with cpu
> Intel Centrino1  32bit.
>
> Unpack source in /usr/src, and:
> adduser user src
> chown -R root:src /usr/src
> chmod -R g+w /usr/src
>
> cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
> make menuconfig, but don't change any!
> make deb-pkg
>
> After finishid, 4 file.deb is present:
>
> linux-image-3.10.0_3.10.0-1_i386.deb
> linux-headers-3.10.0_3.10.0-1_i386.deb
> linux-firmware-image_3.10.0-1_i386.deb
> linux-libc-dev_3.10.0-1_i386.deb
>
> After installed file.deb and reboot, the hard disk change letters!
> from sda1 to hda1.
> From console, the command:  fdisk -l, blkid and mount, is very slow!
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

You're not having a problem compiling the kernel, you're having a
problem running the kernel.  It sounds to me like the compiling
went just fine.  Your subject line is misleading.  I know a few things
about compiling kernels, but I've never heard of these specific
usage problems.  I am currently using a custom 3.10 kernel on an
up-to-date jessie system with no problems.  Perhaps the new kernel
requires a newer release of other software, such as udev or
initramfs-tools, than you currently have on your squeeze system.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :