Bash Scripting Question

The script I am trying to write executes a program that requires a
keyboard response. I have experimented with redirecting STDIN but haven't found the
correct way to make the response.  I found one example that scanned the
response from apt-get install xxxx for the letter y and fed this back to
install xxxx.  In my case I must respond with a word in answer to the
programs question.

I'm sure this must be elementary but I have read large sections of
BASH GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS and  AVANCED BASH-SCRIPTING GUIDE without
finding a solution.  I would appreciate a little help or advice.

Tom