Re: NVIDIA Problem?

----- Original Message -----
From:

To:
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>

Sent:
Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:42:10 +0000
Re: NVIDIA Problem?
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:16:52AM -0400, erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com wrote:
> I  am running jessie/sid.
>
> When I boot, prior to the login screen I receive the following message: "A
> problem has occurred and the system can't recover" .It has been suggested
> to me that the problem might be with the NVIDIA driver and that I should
> look at Xorg.log and xsession-errors.  I cannot interpret these files at
> all.  I have removed the duplicate lines in xsession-errors, but I do not
> know what to do with Xorg.log.

OK. First off, it's NOT a problem with the NVIDIA driver. I can tell
that because you're actually using the intel driver. If you have an
NVIDIA device available (either as your only graphics device or as a
secondary card), then you have a bigger problem.

> With your indulgence and my apologies for the length of the files, here
> they are:

<Gigantic snip>

Thanks.

I ran  smartctl on the hard drive, and it is OK.

I am a newbie. I hope that I am correct, but you said that the hard drive might have problems  As per above, thankfully it is healthy.

Your next  comment was that there might be a problem with the video card.  If that is true, I should replace the video card.  What do you recommend?  The computer is a  IBM ThinkCentre M50 8189.

TIA

Ethan
@debian.org>