Re: apt-get aptitude dependencies purge

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> Le 31.10.2013 13:12, Tom H a écrit :

>>> It seems the command is apt-config dump.
>>
>> Sorry. Should've proofed my previous mail.
>>>
>>> And there are no "Keep-Suggests" here:
>>>
>>> $ apt-config dump|grep -i suggest
>>> APT::Install-Suggests "0";
>>
>> The default is supposed to be "false."
>
> So it's quite strange, since this is a "new" (ok, maybe 1 month old, but I
> restrained myself to tinker it. I also used the stable repo, because for
> that computer I really wants it to be reliable) installation, and the only
> thing I have changed about default behavior, is the "do not automatically
> install recommended packages" in aptitude configuration menu.
>>
>> Set 'Aptitude::Keep-Suggests "false";' in "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/" and
>> check whether the behavior changes.
>
> Just did the change:
> I added a file name "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/keep_suggests" which contains the
> line you gave. Nothing changes in behavior, if I make mpd automatically
> installed, it is not removed. In things depending on mpd, only mpc and
> ncmpcpp suggests it. It also says it enhances mpc. There are no installed
> packages which recommends or depends on mpd.
>
> I also tried with APT::Keep-Suggests, just in case, but still no changes.
> Are you sure that this option exists? I can not find any documentation about
> it, only random threads here and there, but no real documentation. I am
> probably not searching the good place, so could you give me a hint about
> where to search? I'm really interested by such kind of options.

If 'Aptitude::Keep-Suggests "false";' doesn't change the behavior it
must be the default - unless it's some other aptitude variable that
controls this.

I got this variable from a file that I downloaded in the past from the
net. I'll have to google to find it again but I think that it must be
part of the aptitude docs.

I can't find an appropriate apt variable in
"/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz" so don't know what
else to suggest. Sorry.