Re: Hosting advice

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Craig L. <craig@gtek.biz> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a good friend that is in a sticky situation and has turned to me for help. I'm not 100% sure of how to advise him so I figured I would pose our question here.
>
> He lives in Texas, in the USA. He is starting his own business, and a bit sooner than he planned. He has a domain registered to him. He needs to be able to set up email service asap, with an eye towards eventually setting up a web site for the operation. I know GoDaddy offers these types of services, but I'm not a big fan of GoDaddy. Since I will probably be the system administrator for a while, I would prefer a hosting service that offers a Linux OS, preferably Debian, and PostgreSQL or MySQL, again preferably PostgreSQL.
>
> May I trouble you good people for suggestions that meet these needs? We would like to have at least one working email address by close of business tomorrow (Friday, 1 November), or Monday at the latest.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

If you're in that kind of hurry, google can do some cool stuff for
you, but they don't seem to be settled about what they provide. I've
been using a combination of google apps and dyn.com's dynamic dns, but
dyn changed their business model, too, and I can't freeload any more.
(Sob, sniff.) Heh.

Everybody seems to be in the process of changing their business models
these days.

What I did, and I think you can still do it with the paid stuff at
google, was register a subdomain from dyn, mapped it (dynamic dns) to
my personal server here at home, used that as my domain for google
apps, and let google handle the mail.

Dyn still does free subdomains, but the subdomain I was using is now
"premium". When my financial stuff settles down again, I'm probably
going to become a paying customer at dyn. They do registrar stuff for
the common top-level domains too, now.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.