Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

Le 31.10.2013 21:06, André Nunes Batista a écrit :
On Wed, 2013-10-30 at 14:22 +0000, Tom H wrote:
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM, John <JohnRChamplin@wowway.com> wrote:

> Could someone who has been following the giant fuss on -devel over
> init systems explain why there's such a sense of dire urgency?
>
> Is it provoked by systemd's effort to be adopted having at least found
> a home with gnome, made urgent by gnome's status as our default?

Although this isn't the first debian-devel systemd-slugfest, there's
more of a sense of urgency and finality this time because GNOME 3.8
depends on logind, and, other than on Ubuntu for systemd <=204, that
means that GNOME 3.8 depends on systemd-as-pid-1.

And does one really needs Gnome? Based on the level of user
dissatisfaction I'd say Gnome shouldn't interfere with boot process.
Especially one that tries to bundle everything... maybe gnome-devs are
trying hard to address smarts, tablets and gadgets only?

That's not gnome which changes the boot process. It's systemd. It simply happens that gnome depends on systemd in Debian build. Since AFAIK gnome is still available on platforms not based on linux kernel, unlike systemd, I really think that it's gnome maintainer's choice to have this hard dependency.