Re: ANDROID (back to the OQ)

On 31 October 2013 13:12, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

Alex,

As you can see (from this long conversation), there are a variety of interpretations of what "free" means and its value to the end user. Getting back to your original concerns, here are some observations I've made about android which indicate to me that it's not free.

When you buy a phone with android on it, you don't have root access to the system.  You're just a regular user.  Yes, you can root the phone, but then you invalidate the warrantee, from what I understand, both the software and hardware warrantees.  So if something fails on your phone, the company whom you bought it from won't provide support.  If something breaks (whether it's software or hardware), you're on your own.  There are some android-specific lists which could be helpful.

[cut]

Hello Ken,

I agree with you in all the topics bellow (the [cut]) but this one above.

The fact that you cant be root doesn't add to Android not being FOSS.

Lets say, for example, that you create an "enterprise" that makes software (and hardware, to be more close to the example. Suppose you build a small computer using go'old Z80 processor. The motherboard isn't that big. You call it Z80-Alive! )

Now, you sell this machines in your community (school, church, whatever) with a support contract, and state: You'll be THE only sysadmin, you'll have root access and buyers will be a regular users. As long as buyers don't try to gain root access, you'll give support to software and hardware.

In some enterprises, if you try to get root access, you may be fired! :) But Z80-Alive!, as someone buy the piece of hardware and you are just helping out, the buyer can't (won't) be fired, just lose warranty.

Well, for me, this enterprise can't be called "not free" based only on that.

I agree with the other topics in your email: closed softwares installed without your agreement, and other stuffs (closed hardware, drivers, etc). But to isolate the "feature" -->become root<--, suppose this enterprise will only install FOSS, will only use public domain hardware, and ask you if you are ready for an update before pushing it to your Z80 machine.

Avoiding users to become root is just a policy matter of an organization, in which you are part.

Of course you can become root anyway and void warranty. That is not bad. That is just an weighted conscious option.

My best,
Beco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." (H. Jackson Brown Jr.)