Re: Centralized update management (WSUS-like) for Debian-based systems?

On 30.10.2013 19:34, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013, Philipp Born wrote:
Am Mi 30 Okt 2013 12:19:49 CET schrieb Colin:
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Philipp Born <philipp@tamcore.eu> wrote:
we're looking for something a bit WSUS-like for Debian (and Ubuntu) to roll out updates etc on our Debian- and Ubuntu-based infrastructure. We've already tried Landscape (the licensing fees are not economically for us) and Spacewalk (which would be perfect, if it would correctly recognize all packages..)

btw, what specific problem did you had with Spacewalk ? it seems to
fit your needs...
Spacewalk would be perfect, it fits most of our list. But it seems
that Spacewalk has some problems when it comes to correctly managing
debian/ubuntu packages.
When a system reports his currently installed packages to Spacewalk,
Spacewalk stores the list and tries to "link" each reported package
against known package metadata from the official repos.. But on some
packages (58 of 326 on a new system) Spacewalk lists them as unknown
and is not able to include them in update checks.

Can you post a list of those 58 packates (preferably with version
information as well)?

Sure. To keep the conversation clean, I've used my nopaste site. Hope that's ok. http://paste.tamcore.eu/07db2d9864.txt

That's the exact output I get when I open the systems "Extra Packages"-list in Spacewalk. What Spacewalk doesn't shows, is that many (if not, most) of these packages have an epoch set. Idk if that's somehow related to the problem.

Don't wonder about the -X as pkgrel. I found out, that when the clients replace pkgrel 0 with X when reporting their installed packages, they Extra Packages listing is a bit shorter (if I let them report the correct 0, the list is 89 entries long)

The unmodified output with -0 instead of -X is on http://paste.tamcore.eu/3beac8d14a.txt